Psychological Studies on ET Contact Experiencers
End Notes, References and Links
By Kathleen Marden, BA, MA Edu.
1. The entire text of Robert Low’s memo can be found in Appendix A of UFOs? Yes! Where the Condon Committee went Wrong by David R. Saunders and R. Roger Harkins.
3. Edward Condon, The Scientific Study of Unidentified Flying Objects, Section 2. “Summary of the Study”.
4. Science, Vol. 170, No. 3958 (Nov. 6, 1970) p. 600.
5. Conversation between Stanton T. Friedman and Ron Westrum 3/8/2010.
6. Troy Zimmer, “Belief in UFOs as Alternative Reality, Cultural Rejection or Disturbed Psyche” Deviant Behavior. pp. 412-413.
7. Ibid. pp. 413 & 417.
8. G. Ganaway, “Historical Truth Versus Narrative Truth. Clarifying the role of exogenous trauma in the etiology of multiple personality disorder and its variants”. p. 210.
9. K. Ring and C. Rosing, “The Omega Project: A psychological survey of persons reporting abductions and other UFO encounters”. Journal of UFO Studies. pp. 70-71.
10. LeLieuvre, Robert, et al. “Omega 3: Revelation or Revolution: A Comparative Study of Abductees Experiences and Community Comparison Control Participants”, April 2010.
11. Bartholomew, RE, et al. “UFO Abductees and Contactees: Psychopathology or Fantasy proneness?
12. Luis R. Gonzalez and Alejandro Agostinelli. Biographical profile of Martin Kottmeyer. June 2001.
13. Estimates range from 25% to 40%.
14. Katherine Holden and Christopher French, “Alien Abduction Experiences: Some clues from neuropsychology and neuropsychiatry. p. 170.
15. Rinad Beidas, “Individual Differences in the Formation of False Memories: Is suggestibility a predictive factor?, Colgate University Journal of Sciences. p. 83.
16. Ibid.pp. 84-85.
17. Susan A Clancy et al. “Memory Distortion in People Reporting Abduction by Aliens”, American Psychological Society, 2004. p. 456.
18. Ibid. pp. 457-458.
19. “Schizotypical Personality Disorder,”
http:// www. Mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-pe03.html
23. Susan Clancy, Richard McNally, et.al., “Memory Distortion in People Reporting Abduction by Aliens,” Journal of Abnormal Psychology, (Vol. III, No. 3, 2002). p. 457.
25. Tamara Lagrandeur, Don C. Donderi, Stuart Appelle, Budd Hopkins. “Self-Reported Alien Abductees Remember Consistent Sets of Symbols” Association for Psychological Science, Chicago, IL, May 13, 2008.
26. Walter Webb, “A Dramatic Encounter I the White Mountains, NH Sept. 19-20, 1961”. Confidential NICAP report. 10/26/61.
27. Quote from Betty’s letter in Marden’s files.
Appelle, Stuart. “The Abduction Experience: A Critical Evaluation of Theory and Evidence.” Journal of UFO Studies. n.s. 6 1995/96. 29-78.
Bartholomew, Robert E., Keith Basterfield and G.S. Howard. “UFO Abductees and Contactees: Pychopathology or Fantasy Proneness? Professional Psychology: Research and Practice.Vol 22. No. 3. 1991. 215-22.
Beidas, Rinad .“Individual Differences in the Formation of False Memories: Is suggestibility a predictive factor?, Colgate University Journal of Sciences. 77-91.
“Borderline Personality Disorder.” www.palace.net/~llama/psych/bpd.html 7/5/2009.
Blackmore, Susan. “Abduction by Aliens or Sleep Paralysis?” Skeptical Inquirer Magazine. May/June 1998.
Boylan, Richard, Ph.D.. “The Differential Diagnosis of Close Extraterrestrial Encounter Syndrome”. www.drboylan.com/diffdxce4a.html 7/2/2009.
Bryan, C.D.B..Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind: Alien Abduction, UFOs and the Conference at MIT. New York: Alfred A. Knoff. 1995.
“Psychophysical Responding During Script-Driven Imagery in People Reporting y Susan A.. "Abduction by Space Aliens”. American Psychological Society. Vol. 15: No. 7.2004. 493-497.
_____ Abducted: How People Come to Believe they were Abducted by Aliens. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. 2005.
_____ et al. “Memory Distortion in People Reporting Abduction by Aliens”. Journal of Abnormal Psychology. Vol 3. No. 3. 2002. 455-461.
Condon, Edward U.. Scientific Study of Unidentified Flying Objects. New York: Bantam. 1969.
Dantzig, Saskia van, Eric O. Postma. “A Connectionist Model of False Memories”. Psychology Department. Erasmus University. Rotterdam, Netherlands. Department of Computer Science. University of Maastricht. Maastricht, Netherlands. Pdf file.
Donderi, Don C, Ph.D. The Scientific Context of the UFO/Abduction Phenomenon. Dec 28, 1996. www.ufologie.net/htm/donderi.htm. 7/2/2009.
_____________. “Evidence Weakens Psychological Theories of the Alien Abduction Experience”. McGill University Department of Psychology. Montreal, Canada. 2008 presentation.
Fowler, Raymond E. The Allagash Abductions. Tigard, OR: Wild Flower Press. 1993.
Friedman, Stanton and Kathleen Marden. Captured! The Betty and Barney Hill UFO Experience. Franklin Lakes, NJ: New Page Books. 2007.
______Science was Wrong. Franklin Lakes, NJ: New Page Books. 2010.
Friedman, Stanton. “The Pseudoscience of Antiufology”. Pursuit. 1983. Pp. 17-20.
Fuller, John G., The Interrupted Journey. New York: Dial Press. 1996.
Cowgill, George L., Robert A. Gordon, et al. “People Who See Flying Saucers”. Science. Vol. 171, No 3975, (March 12, 1971) 956-959.
Gallup Poll. May 1966. St Louis Post-Dispatch, Des Moines Register, (May 8, 1966). Data compiled by John Schuessler.
www.mufon.com/znews_publicopinion.html Visited 3/16/2010.
Ganaway, G. “Historical Truth Versus Narrative Truth. Clarifying the role of exogenous trauma in the etiology of multiple personality disorder and its variants”. Dissociation. 11, 205-220.
Holden, Katherine J. and Christopher C. French.” Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit. Goldsmith’s College. University of London, London. (2002) Psychology Press Ltd. 163-178.
_____Hopkins, Budd. “The Faith-Based Science of Susan Clancy”.www.intrudersfoundation.org/faith_based.html. 7/9/2009.
_____Witnessed. New York: Pocket Books. 1996.
Jacobs, David, Ph.D. “”A Review of Abducted: How People Come to Believe they were Kidnapped by Aliens by Susan Clancy”. The Journal of Scientific Exploration. Vol 20, No 2. Summer 2006.
_____ (editor). UFOs and Abductions: Challenging the Borders of Knowledge. Kansas: University Press. 2000.
Kottmeyer, Martin. “Abductions: The Boundary Deficit Hypothesis 1988”.
Lagrandeur, Tamara, Don C. Donderi, Stuart Appelle, Budd Hopkins. Self-Reported Alien Abductees Remember Consistent Sets of Symbols” Association for Psychological Science, Chicago, IL, May 13, 2008.
LeLieuvre, Robert, et al. “Omega 3: Revelation or Revolution: A Comparative Study of Abductees Experiences and Community Comparison Control Participants”, April 2010.
Lorenzen, Coral and Jim. “Abducted!—The Story of the Casey County Kidnapping”. Saga UFO Report.Vol. 5, No. 6. June 1978. 20-23 & 60-67.
Mack, John, Caroline McLeod, Barbara Corbisier. “A More Parsimonious Explanation for UFO Abduction”. Psychological Inquiry (7:2) 1996.
Marden, Kathleen. “Another Look at the Harvard False Memory Study”. 2006.
_____ “Barney and Betty Hill: Dream Transference or Alien Abduction?”. MUFON UFO Journal, April 2009. 5-9.
_____“Clancy’s version of Hill encounter shows slanting and poor research” MUFON UFO Journal. No. 459. (July 2006) 8-11.
Niznikiewicz, Margaret A., Martha E. Shenton, Martina Voglmaier, Paul G. Nestor, et al. “Semantic Dysfunction in Women with Schizotypal Personality Disorder”. American Journal of Psychiatry. 159:10. (October 2002) 1767-1774.
Parnell, June O. & R. Leo Sprinkle. Personality Characteristics of Persons Who Claim UFO Experiences”. Journal of UFO Studies. 2 (1990). 45-58.
Powers, Susan Marie. “Fantasy Proneness, Amnesia and the UFO Abduction Phenomenon”. Dissociation. Vol. 5, No. 1. (March 1991) 46-54.
Ring, K. & C. Rosing. “The Omega Project: A psychological survey of persons reporting abductions and other UFO encounters”. Journal of UFO Studies.2 (1990) 59-98.
Rodeghier, Goodpastor and Blatterbaur. “Psychosocial Characteristics of Abductees: Results from the CUFOS Abduction Project”. Journal of UFO Studies. 3 (1991) 59-90.
Schizotypical Personality Disorder,” http:// www. Mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-pe03.html visited 3/10/2006.
Spanos, Cross, Dickson, DuBreuil. “Close Encounters: An examination of UFO experiences. Journal of Abnormal Psychology. 102 (1993) 624-32.
Stringfield, Leonard. Situation Red. Garden City, NY: Doubleday & Company, Inc. 1977.
Walton, Travis. Fire in the Sky. New York: Marlowe & Company. 1996.
Warren, Donald I.. “Status Inconsistency Theory and Flying Saucer Sightings”. Science Vol. 70, No. 3958, (Nov. 6. 1970) 599-603.
Watson, Jason, Kathleen McDermott & David Balota. “Attempting to Avoid False Memories in the Deese/Roediger-McDermott Paradigm: Assessing the Combined Influence of Practice and Warnings in Young and Old Adults. Memory and Cognition, 32:1 (2004). 135-141.
Webb, Walter “A Dramatic Encounter in the White Mountains, NH Sept. 19-20, 1961”. Confidential NICAP report. 10/26/61.
Webb, Walter. Encounter at Bluff Ledge. Chicago: J. Allen Hynek Center for UFO Studies. 1994. Westrum, Ron. “Social Intelligence About Anomalies: The Case of UFOs”. Social Studies of Science. Vol 7 (1977) 271-302.
Whittlesea, Bruce, Michael E.J. Masson, Andrea D. Hughs. “False memory following rapidly presented lists: the element of surprise”. Psychological Research. (2005) 69: 420-430.
Wilson, Sheryl C. and Theodore X. Barber. “The Fantasy Prone Personality: Implications for understanding imagery, hypnosis, and paraphysiological phenomena”. Imagery, Current Theory, Research and Applications. New York: Wiley. 1983. 340-390.
www.columbia.edu/cu/ssw/projects/pmap/docs/chmielewski-chapman.pdf visited 3/14/2006.
www.mufon.com . visited numerous times.
www.ncbi.nlm.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=Displat&SDB=pubmed visited 3/14/2006.
www.neuro.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/15/2/168#R468622 visited 3/14/2006.
Zimmer, Troy. “Belief in UFOs as Alternative Reality, Cultural Rejection or Disturbed Psyche”. Deviant Behavior. 6 (1985) 405-419.
Return to Part I
This article is published with the expressed written permission of Kathleen Marden for publication on The Alien Jigsaw: alienjigsaw.com